Cleaning your teeth regularly either at home or at a dental clinic is the best and most important thing you must do to keep your mouth and teeth healthy. However, simple brushing and flossing at home are sometimes not enough to maintain your teeth clean, and over time plaque is being built up on your teeth. Eventually, these plaques can turn into tartar, which is needed to remove through professional teeth cleaning procedure.
Related article: How Much Does Teeth Cleaning Cost in Canada?
How often should you get teeth cleaning?
Most dental clinics recommend having professional teeth cleaning at least every 6 months or twice a year, even if you are regularly brushing and flossing your teeth at home. Although, some patients are required to visit the dentist more often than 6 months to get teeth cleaning.
These patients are those who have a fast rate of tooth decay or those who get cavities quickly. Other patients who are smokers, pregnant, diabetics, or have been diagnosed with gum disease are also required to visit a dental clinic more frequently, maybe 3-4 times a year to help prevent other severe dental problems.
Possible Risks for Not Doing Teeth Cleaning
- Buildup Plaques – Even if you consider yourself as an expert when it comes to brushing and flossing your teeth, you are still subjective to have a buildup plaque which if left unchecked particularly those buildup plaques in a difficult-to-reach corner of your mouth will eventually solidify over time leading to tartar formation. Take note that, tartar is one of the reasons why your tooth decays, why you get cavities, gum diseases and other oral health problems.
- Teeth Stains – Are you one of those people who never let the day pass without cups of coffee, tea, or wine? Or are you a big tobacco smoker? If so, then your teeth are prone to stains. These stains can build up over time and cannot be removed by simple brushing. If you will not get regular professional teeth cleaning, these stains are possible to stay permanently on your teeth.
- Gum Disease – Gums’ vital role is to provide a tight cover around your teeth and roots. However, gums can be easily attacked by bacteria if you have plaques and this will cause bleeding and swelling. Bacteria will then settle underneath your gums and if not properly treated, it will lead to early teeth loss or periodontal disease.
- Tooth Decays – food lodgement is the food particles that keep on sticking to your teeth after having a meal. This can create plaque and bacteria. If not removed, it can break down your tooth enamel which will cause your tooth to decay. Daily brushing and flossing your teeth is sometimes not enough to get rid off the plaque, so regular dental checkups are a must. Skipping this can eventually allow the bacteria to attack your teeth as well as your gums, which will also lead to tooth decay. But with the help of a dental hygienist, these plaques can be removed, quickly and easily.
- Other Oral Health Problems – Sometimes we are not aware of our oral health problems, so if you are regularly visiting your dentist, they may detect some serious medical problems signs and with that, they can inform you ahead of time to prevent it or treat it as soon as possible.
Why get professional teeth cleaning regularly?
- Having your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year lets you avoid plaque which cannot be removed by simply brushing and flossing your teeth once or twice every day. Your hygienist will use special instruments to remove those plaques you have. Their simple procedure can prevent you from tooth decay and gum disease, and other problems that can result in future oral problems.
- If you will get teeth cleaning regularly, you will also get consultation twice a year as your dentist will check your teeth and there is a tendency that they can sight some signs of decay or changes in your teeth from your last visit. This dental consultation twice a year can help you identify signs of dental problems and can possibly correct dental problems as soon as possible to avoid severe oral problems.
- If you are working in a company, you might have dental insurance. Most of these companies offer dental insurance and willing to pay for two cleanings and consultations per year so, if I were you, I will take advantage of this opportunity to maintain healthy and clean teeth.
- Most importantly, the feeling after your teeth are professionally cleaned is just an amazing and comforting feeling. Also, you became more confident when smiling and talking.
Whether you are regularly brushing and flossing your teeth, dental problems are still possible to occur. So, it is still recommended to have regular teeth cleaning to find the root of dental problems and to avoid or prevent other serious oral health problems. It may sounds cliche but prevention is still and always better than cure.
If you are looking for a local dentist for professional teeth cleaning, feel free to visit our website Osmin Denture or contact us at 647-294-3310 to schedule an appointment today!
Leave a Comment